Wednesday, May 6, 2009

sixteen

I found these on my desk at school. They are menthol patches that I wear almost every day. I started saving them for no particular reason; I guess just to see how many I could amass in a short period of time. I noticed them because they look kind of interesting, almost like the beginnings of something else when they are put together like that-and they smell very strongly. I think sometimes that this is how the process of art making begins. You notice something that you'd never noticed before or you see something differently than you'd seen it before and your mind works over it until you've got some sort of concept. These menthol patches remind me of Steven Holl architecture because of the smell. Not that Steven Holl works with menthol, but because he sometimes gives his buildings an atmospheric feel by coating the walls in beeswax or something like that. The idea of making something that controls the viewers experience so thoroughly that even their sense of smell is engaged is really interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment