Thursday, February 12, 2009

three

Shortly after the capture of the ice cream sandwich wrapper, I found this a little ways down the path. At the time I was walking with my brother. He was criticizing me for collecting garbage. Then I saw this.

This object is an envelope with writing on the back and a piece of tape--still sticky--hanging off the top flap. The top section is a series of names and initials. On the bottom, in red: "Discuss... Trip to Grand Canyon" and "is it possible to lead nice happy life w/ so much suffering? do they worry about it? Springsteen says yes. others?"

I was struck by the text. That it was written on the back of an envelope, that it discussed ethical and philosophical issues. And whose names and initials were being checked off up top?

My brother and I kept walking. I'd folded the ice cream sandwich wrapper into the envelope and put it in my pocket. After a few minutes, Jeremy said that he thought it was his envelope and as it turns out it is. Maybe the reason I was drawn to it was the familiar handwriting on the envelope that I hadn't identified, but knew somehow, that it was my brother's. And it means more to me because it's his and I know it's his. 

google earth placemark to come

No comments:

Post a Comment