Thursday, February 19, 2009

twenty lines

I really enjoyed this project. I have been trained in drawing, painting, and photography that meaning is inherent in art, that art isn't art without some kind of deeper meaning. Understandably, I was not excited for this project. Drawing 20 lines on PhotoShop felt like copping out. However, once I started, I began to feel differently about meaning as it relates to art. I tried using different thickness and hardness in the lines. I thought of words like "lost" or "beautiful" and focused on them as I drew the line. I tried to convey those concise meanings into each line. What I have learned is that meaning is inherent in art, but there are more ways to get to that kind of meaning that traditional ones.

I was impressed by my classmates' projects. A lot of us had similar kinds of lines, but everyone's was unique. I think you can tell a lot about people's personalities based on the colors and kinds of lines they drew. It was hard to pick one line out of the group that was most beautiful, most fun, or most non traditional because for the most part they were all of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment